Whoa, there’s a veritable blizzard out there! Nice. Well, as long as I don’t have to go out that is. I can sit here on my cozy couch, eating my cozy ice cream under my cozy blanket. At least the temperature rose from a hellish -19C to a moderate -7C.
Still, I would rather be sailing in the Caribbean, like the girls on Cantare, a Boström 31 class sailing boat, are doing. I’ve been following their progress for a bit over a month now, and I’m so, so horribly envious. I’ve been looking at a boat that’s identical to theirs this autumn, and if I wouldn’t have had my old boat still under me would have bought it, too. But oh well. Will sail Blowfish for another summer, tune her up a bit, buy a new mainsail, clean the old girl up, and then sell her. In fact, I already have the route planned out for next summer’s “epic sail”! Basically gonna go to Riga via Ruhnu on the way there and via Pärnu and Tallinn on the way back. It will eat up all of my summer holiday, but what the heck… Here’s the preliminary route on Google Maps.
Anyway, this week’s gone by in an anticipatory haze. Next Tuesday evening we’re gonna board our BlueOne Avro RJ85 jet and hop on over to Copenhagen! Dr. Z lives there, with my girlfriend’s sister for a wife. I hear they live right in the middle of Copenhagen, so will tourist around a lot, visit Christiania, and, uh, other places. Haven’t yet decided on the “targets”. Last time I’ve been to Copenhagen I was only 14 or so, don’t remember much. We were only driving through it with my dad on the way to Köln, Germany, anyway. This xmas is going to be the bestest xmas evar! Oh, and speaking of Xmas, we made some nice gingerbread cookies, and I’ve got to make myself a gingerbread PacMan with the leftovers. Awesome, eh?
As for other news and stuff, there’s nothing much to tell. Work’s fine, life’s fine. Been doing a lot of swimming, and last Friday, for the first time in ages, my weight dipped beneath 80kg! Yesterday it was back up to 80.4kg again, after a hearty breakfast, but that’s how it goes. A slight up and a slightly bigger down. Will no doubt be able to get down to 78kg before the end of this year, providing I don’t pig out too badly on Xmas. And since I’ve poisoned myself with incredible amounts of alcohol last weekend I decided not to drink at all during this one. So have been sitting at home, re-playing GTA:SA with a TTDISA mod, and Stalker: Clear Sky. I’ve actually managed to complete Stalker, too, quite an accomplishment with my limited gaming time. Great game, but what a lame and disappointing ending… I’ve also been busy with gradually uploading my old blog entries from Friggin Abandoned Mk1 to Wordpress. Time consuming and fidgety, but rather rewarding. I get such a nostalgic rush from re-reading old entries… But damn, I was one little alcoholic bastard, no? Even compared to my current self.
Ok, time to take a shower and do the dishes soon, so will dump some links and vids and be off.
- To put an end to endless lists, here is the ULTIMATE list of lists: The Noughties List: The Decade in Review!
- Being a gamer, even if not as active as I was in my youth, I am kinda concerned by this report. Concerned, but not surprised. I’ve been feeling some twinges myself lately…
- I know that the Copenhagen climate summit is over and everything, but I’d still like to share these awesome photographs of world leaders by Platon. Dude rawks.
- Oh, and for those of you that still think that the Turin shroud is the real deal, well, not so much.
- The winter solstice is almost upon us, and to honor it here’s a photo of the sun’s path composed over the period of a year.
- This is awesome. I always liked flight sims, but getting paid to play one and kill Taleban fighters and innocent civilians while you’re at it? Dream come true.
- I guess you’ve read about the hydrocarbon lakes on Titan, and the oceans of Europa. And if you’re geeky enough you might have thought of interstellar travel. Here are Charles Stross’s thoughts on the matter.
- And to end it all, a great Big Picture collage by Boston Globe, the decade in news photographs.
As for the vids… Well, ok, but just one. Base jumping in HD! I’d totally do it if I had the balls!